What to wear...and what not to wear...to your corporate headshot session
You'd like to update your profile picture and you're ready to get a new corporate headshot...but now you're faced with the daunting task of picking out something to wear. Your clothes make a big statement. What impression do you want to make?
A good corporate headshot helps you communicate in a second who you are and what people can expect from you.
What type of company do you work for, or what type of job are you applying for? Depending on the tone of your company, you may want to communicate a vibe that's hip, creative, and forward-thinking. If you work in the corporate services arena, you may want to communicate a sense of formality, trustworthiness, and tradition.
After you've decided what you want to convey, here are some tips to help guide you as you look through your closets, or run out to shop.
1. Wear something that makes you feel great: If you wear something that feels great and that you're confident in, it will show in your images. Stay away from outfits that are so tight that you can't breathe. Clothes that are constantly shifting or moving out of place are going to bug you and will make you tense up during your photo session. Comfort is so important!
2. Picking the right colours: First off, solid colours are are way to go. Stay away from patterns because they can quickly date your image. Bright reds, fuchsias, and oranges should also be avoided because they can play funny tricks on the camera. Pure black is not ideal, as it can come across as sombre and stark. Instead, choose a deep grey or chocolate brown, or pair black with another mid-tone colour.
One great trick when choosing your headshot wardrobe is to pick tones that accentuate your eyes. Here are a few ideas based on eye colour:
If you've got blue eyes, wearing shades of blue or grey will make your eyes pop. Wearing clothes that are on the other side of the colour wheel, like tame shades of orange, coral, and salmon will also accentuate your eye colour.
If you have green eyes, wearing shades of green, olive, emerald, mint, army green all do wonders for your eyes. Heading to the other side of the colour wheel to purples, aubergines, and wine also create amazing intensity and interest. Very flattering.
For brown eyes, try subtle golds, deep browns, mustard, honey, and buttercream. Burgundy and maroon will look rich. Going deep with chocolate will be beautiful.
After you've narrowed down your choices based on your eye colour, consider your skin tone as well. Choose clothes that contrast with your skin tone. You don't want your clothes to blend in with your skin. For example, if you're fair-skinned, dressing in predominantly white or beige won't be as flattering as choosing a pale or mid-toned colour.
3. Accentuate your neckline: It's a good idea to choose clothes that create visual interest around your neckline.
For women, a no-collar shirt or v-neck paired with a tailored jacket is classy and feminine. Blouses with features around the neck like a cowl-neck or ruffles create a beautiful frame for your face.
For men, bring a suit jacket with a collared shirt, turtle neck, or t-shirt, and bring a couple of ties to change up your look quickly. Also, mock-neck sweaters with a high collar can be layered and provide a nice texture for the image.
4. Jewellery: There are different thoughts about jewelry. Some prefer the go-big-or-go-home approach and some like it to be a very subtle statement or none at all. Really, it's a personal preference that is dependant on your field of work. Remember, the headshot is about conveying who you are as a professional. If you choose to make a bold statement, just keep in mind that what's on-trend today may be out next year.
5. DRINK and SLEEP! This isn't a wardrobe tip, but it's probably one of the most important things to do in the days leading up to your headshot session...drink lots of water and sleep well! This will do amazing things for your skin and your eyes, which are featured in your headshot high above anything you wear. Be well!
One Tree Studio would be happy to offer more guidance as you make your wardrobe choices. If you're still not sure what to wear, bring several choices to your session and our photographers would be more than happy to help! We've created a Pinterest board with a few ideas to help guide you. Check it out HERE! You can also see our corporate headshot pricing on our Corporate Headshot page.
To receive a quote for your headshot session or to find out more, please contact us today! You'll be so glad you did!